- Returning for its fifth edition, @crypticglasgow award-winning festival, #Sonica brings a pioneering programme of w… https://t.co/EGu8fjXc5r
- Are you an #artist or work in #contemporaryart? SCAN and @engagescotland #MandateGoSee Fund aims to ensure that a… https://t.co/L6i1PfNnVP
- RT @cath_simpson13: A great honour to run a writing workshop for Midlothian MP @DaniRowley this morning to highlight the fabulous work done…
Browse content by theme:
Woodwork: Bring your own plant
11:00 on 28 September 2019
Studio Pavilion at House for an Art Lover
TUTOR Glasgow Tool Library
DAY Saturday 11am – 4pm
DATES 28 September 2019
LOCATION Art Studios
During ‘Bring your own plant’ we will be designing and making a bespoke plant stand for you to take home, based on the plant pot you bring on the day.
This workshop will teach traditional carpentry techniques as you will combine each component part and assemble them using a combination of halved joints and the use of wooden dowels. We will also explore scribing techniques as well as different types of joints.
Introduction to Carpentry
Understanding of tools and best practise techniques
Basic principles of design and technical drawing
Preparing cutting list
Understanding of materials
Scribing and marking wood
Joint preparation and making
We will cover:
• the use of commonly used hand tools like chisels, block planes, combination squares, sliding bevels, marking / mortise gauges
• a variety of hand saws such as tenon, compass, panel and pull saws as well as the use of drills to create the correct holes needed for your assembly dowels.
The Glasgow Tool Library (GTL) operates like a normal library, but instead of sharing books, we share tools. We collect donations of tools from those that no longer use them, repair and care for them, and make them accessible to everyone through a pay-what-you-can membership. Our aim is to provide an inclusive resource that supports low income households to maintain and improve the spaces and places that matter to them, while also encouraging people to live more sustainably by sharing resources. Our library is located at Civic House on Civic street a short walk from the Cowcaddens subway stop.
We also hold educational workshops and events that promote the values of DIY and sustainability, each class explores a different theme related to construction from a basic to advanced level using traditional hand tools.
All materials used by GTL are recycled and collected from various arts and construction facilities within Glasgow, each material will vary in size and shape as well as different types used in construction, thus allowing the participants a chance to explore different types of wood and its uses.
Each class is taught by a carpenter focused on teaching basic carpentry techniques and hand tool use, as well as basic power tool training, we also use the time to discuss the reclaimed materials used. The facilitator will discuss their experience from previous trade work i.e. theatre, arts and construction to share information and knowledge to each group in how to better use and save reclaimed building materials and share ideas that may engage their communities into recycling and creating projects together.
Glasgow Tool Library are part of a group exhibition showing in the Studio Pavilion gallery later this year, to find out more visit the exhibition page.